The RYA Day Skipper theory course prepares you for the practical where you can then put it all into practice. It is an extensive course for Motor and Sail with practical exercises using training charts and almanac to make it as realistic as possible. The course covers tidal waters enabling you to sail in tidal and no tidal areas. There is only support and two exams at the end to ensure you have understood.
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Do I need to complete this prior to the Dayskipper Practical?
Yes we strongly advice completing all the Dayskipper theory, there is so much to cover in the practical course you need to already understand how to navigate so you can then practice it for real on the boat
When is the exam?
There is two exams, one on chart work and the other on general knowledge like collision regulation, tidal height calculation, day shapes and night lights. The exams are 90 minutes each, once you complete the online course you submit to complete the exams which can can do from home(except if you need it for commercial use)
How long is the course?
The course normally takes around 40 to 45 hours, you progress is saved as you go. There is online support 24/7 .
- 6 Months access to the online training
- Navigation pack, post is at cost
- Pack includes training charts, almanac, handbook & Plotter
- 24/7 online instructor support
Everything was perfect for our 3 hour sail. Our skipper, Ricardo, and first mate, Federica, were excellent and provided five star service. Great way to see Barcelona from a different perspective.
Really excellent. Lovely staff, professional. Stopped so we could have a swim as well. Highly recommended.