This course is a must for any skippered, it is a legal requirement for one person onboard to have the VHF License. The training includes all the usage of the VHF Radio and procedure from emergency calls to checking the Marina for a mooring for the night. Once you complete the online training there is a short test, then we can arrange your in person exam
- routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- the correct VHF channels (frequencies) to be used for each type of communication
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- ship to shore communication
- practical use of Marine VHF DSC radios
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
How long does the license last?
The license has no expiry date.
When is the exam?
The exam we arrange for you, this is an independent examiner which is why you pay the RYA direct for the exam and license fee. The exam takes around an hour and involves practical use on the radio like a Mayday call plus multiple choice question paper
How long to process the license?
Your examiner will send off your exam application which is processed by the RYA in the UK on behalf of the MCA. You can fast track this but you will also be given a temporary license whilst you wait.
- You MUST complete the exam fee beforehand direct with the RYA
- You need to print off your certificate when you complete the online test
- Passport Photo for your license
We had an amazing sunset sail with Crew of Barcelona Watersports. Working with them was very easy and they were a delight in the boat. I will make... read more
May 24, 2022
We loved this sunset sail. Faye and her crew were very kind, served us unlimited wine and beer and a few olives and chips to snack on. Beautiful views of... read more
November 4, 2019
My daughter and I have just concluded our 2 day RYA Powerboat level 2 course with Barcelona Watersports. We had Faith as our instructor. Was a Fab experience,... read more
August 23, 2020